Saturday 17 January 2015

We'll always have Paris


Free Motion Machine Embroidery

After the success of 2014, and the developing of new designs, I decided to use my new found love of Free Motion Embroidery.  I decided that 2015, would be the year I try to develop, what was lingering in my head.

Sketching, with Thread


After a surprise trip to Paris 2 years ago with my husband for a special birthday, I was inspired, as most people are, by The Eiffel Tower.  I knew I wanted to create something with textiles, I just couldn't decide what or how.  But as my love of the Free Motion Machine Embroidery progressed, I hatched a plan!


We'll always have Paris

 Here's how I did it

I began, by looking at the pictures and postcards we brought back from our trip, and the photographs we took.  I drew inspiration from these, and chose a specific photo.  I traced the outline loosely, and played with it, so that I had an idea of the size I was wanting my final piece to be, and then began to add my own interpretation of the details within and around the Tower.
Once I was happy with my sketch, I used a Light Box to trace the outline onto the fabric, again just loosely, using a water soluble pen.

Sketching the outline
It was now time to start to 'sketch with thread', so I began by drawing the outline
Adding details
Once my basic shape was established, I placed my original pencil sketch beside my machine, and began to fill in the gaps as and how I felt it best with the needle and thread.
It was so enjoyable and quite therapeutic, I found that I just couldn't stop!
More details developing 
As the detailing developed, I found myself really moving freely and creating more details here, and less there, as and where I felt necessary.
The Eiffel Tower

Before long, the stitching was complete, and I had before me something that resembled The Eiffel Tower.  I rinsed off the pen, and left the fabric to dry.
Hand Embroidered Appliqué Hearts

I decided, that as the picture was to remember our trip to Paris, I would add 2 hearts (I used 2 different Tilda fabrics) to represent my husband and I, so I hand embroidered them, with a lovely metallic embroidery silk.
The Final Touches
I wanted some wording on the picture, but found it hard to decide what, so I turned to Google to find French phrases, poems and quotes.  There were some really lovely ones, but the one that stood out for me the most was 'We'll always have Paris' this phrase is taken from one of my favourite films - Casablanca, so I found it just perfect, and of course, as it is nearly Valentines Day, and Paris is the most Romantic City in the world, 'Je t'aime' had to be included!
Framed to perfection
Finally, a lace border was added, before the finished piece was set into the beautiful frame.

I am incredibly proud of my creation, and aim to do more and I hope that you like it as much as my husband (Mr C) and I do.

Please visit my Facebook page to see more of my makes
Michelle Corbin Design maker of all things to treasure

Thank you for reading
Happy Stitching

Michelle xx

Ps.  Don't forget to sign up to follow this blog

















5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jan for taking the time to read and comment. Glad you like. Much appreciated xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely picture. Free motion is addictive isn't it? The last Eiffel Tower picture I did took ages as you don't realise how intricate the design is until you start!

    I look forward to seeing any future pieces you do. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruby Patch, it is addictive. I started introducing myself to free motion around a year ago, and just love it. Would love to see your Eifdel Tower xx

      Delete
    2. I can't find a picture of it anywhere! I do have some of my other pics on my blog at http://rubypatch.blogspot.co.uk/ if you're interested though.

      I'd love to know what you think of them.

      Your keepsake teddies are lovely (I was having a mooch around on your website earlier).

      Sue x

      Delete