Saturday 16 May 2015

A Tour of my sewing room

Bespoke Sewing.......................exquisite hand-finished keepsake gifts and home furnishings

 

I spend a lot of time in this room, and getting it to how I want, is still 'work in progress', but here it is so far:

Firstly, I share the space with the 'white goods' of the house, a Fridge Freezer, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer and a Dish Washer, so space is limited, so Mr C built a work top above the said White Goods for me to initially use as storage.

The rest of the room, consisted of a 'make shift' desk, which was a little wobbly and very easy to clutter up.  There wasn't much room really for sewing, but I managed for a few years.  I also had an old Dining Table, which I covered with batting and lining, to use as a cutting table, but also as a safe place to iron.

It served it's purpose, but easily got messy and cluttered, so I found myself constantly reconfiguring the furniture, in hope that it would improve my working space, and as money was scarce I sadly couldn't afford a new desk, nor could I find one suitable for the space I had.  So I discussed at length at numerous times, options I could take with Mr C, and finally we hatched a plan to make my own bespoke table.  
I eventually managed to save enough to buy a large sheet of MDF and components, and between Mr C and I we designed the shape of my new desk.

Mr C had a little help from Little Mr C and between them the worked hard to construct the table.  Mr C even knocked up a damn fine Sewing Machine Extension Table, much to my total happiness (can you imagine the Happy Dance I did lol?

The construction of the table took place just after New Year, before work and school was back in flow.  Sadly there was no time to paint it before I had to begin orders again, but then I manage to find a couple of weekends before Easter to finally set to and paint it, and I managed to reorganise it so that the work top above the 'White Goods' became my new ironing and cutting area - and I love it :) xx

So there you are, my finished 'happy place' fully constructed - of course it isn't finished just yet, as the walls need a lick of paint, but I just can't decide what colour - if you have a suggestion, please comment below.


Oh, and here is a lovely selection of hand-made items have on display in my room from Armadio AmoreLinen and Fred and My Happy Place.  Pop over and see what else they make, they are totally amazing.

And if you'd like to share your lovely crafting space with me please send me a photo at michelle@michellecorbindesign.co.uk 

Many thanks for popping by, I hope you enjoyed your little tour and don't forget to check out what I make at

Happy Stitching

Michelle xx






2 comments:

  1. You've created an amazing space! Lovely and bright with everything you need xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie, I have a little make of yours hanging in there too xxx

      Delete