Saturday 23 May 2015

Learn to Sew - Creating a Garland with a Twist

Bespoke Sewing.......................exquisite hand-finished keepsake gifts and home furnishings

Every other Monday, I run 2 Learn to Sew Workshops,
 one on the morning and one on the evening.  I have some lovely ladies who attend, and over the past 2 years that they have been attending, their sewing skills have grown and their confidence and creativity has improved immensely.

It's a very relaxed affair, and I encourage fun chats and laughter, but not only do these ladies come to learn to sew and create, I am also proud to say that they have become my friends too.  


Each term I set a new task, based on their wish lists.  This terms brief, was to create bunting or a garland with a twist!!  Basically, I asked them to design and create a bunting style garland based on a theme of their choice, using a variety of techniques they wished to explore, or improve.

Above you can see a few of them developing their designs.  Each one of them chose a different theme, which was fantastic, and they were not afraid to explore techniques.

Charlie and Lorna's creations are still works in progress.  
Lorna's imagination is running wild, and from discussions with her, I can see she is going to be using lots of different techniques.  I am so looking forward to seeing her 'The Enchanted Wood' inspired garland come to life.
And Charlie has based her design on her new found love for sewing, and I think it will look beautiful.

Kelly's completed Caravan Garland

Above Kelly, has just completed her Caravan Garland.  Her choice of fabrics, is just lovely, and I love the colour combinations.
Kelly was inspired by a photo she found on Pinterest.  She created her own templates and built her design up using bonding and stabiliser, quirky fabric scraps, and an appliqué technique that she wanted to master.

I think you will agree that she has made a lovely job, and she should be very proud.
Please comment below to let Kelly know how great you think she has done.

 Once the others have finished theirs, I will share them with you too.

 And this is me, maker of all things to treasure, from Keepsake items, to Soft Furnishings

Thank you for reading
Happy Stitching
Michelle xx






No comments:

Post a Comment